Monday, September 29, 2008

Autumn

"delicious autumn! my very soul is wedded to it, and if i were a bird i would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns." - george eliot

i love autumn. it stirs up so many mixed emotions........an excitement from the cool snap in the air, reflections of the past year, memories of the past, a sense of preparing to hunker down for the coming winter months. it seems all the momentous happenings in my life have been in fall.....some good, others not so good. for me it's a time of revenants....but i welcome the memories now after so many years. i welcome the visits in my sleep or just upon quiet reflection.....strain to hear the heavy footstep of a past love come home.....long to see clearly the face i so cherished. you're not forgotten, my space cowboy.

signs of the season changing are all around me now. the cotton field near my home is almost ready to be picked. the leaves are falling on soft sighs into the creek....starting their long journey to who knows where.
the love lies bleeding gives up her vertical posture and reaches towards the ground, full cycle......returning to earth.
the dirt daubers have built their homes under the pier's roof....their winter's haven.
and i had to throw in walker.....poor, tripod, walker, in the autumn of his life and left alone to guard a home full of memories and revenants.you watch for my space cowboy, walker. he'll keep you company on the coming cold nights.
"i cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. so i spend almost all the daylight hours in the open air." - nathaniel hawthorne

me too, nat......me too!

No comments: