Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Chocolate Oatmeal...yes please!

Are you a Chocoholic? I'll admit that I am...so when I ran across this
recipe while looking for healthy breakfast ideas I knew I had to try it.

Chocolate Oatmeal! I found this recipe on Audry Johns blog
Lose Weight by Eating. I tweaked it a little by using Chocolate
Almond Milk instead of adding her Homemade Fat Free 
Chocolate Syrup.

This makes one serving:
 
1 1/8 cups Chocolate Almond Milk
1/2 cup Rolled Oats (don't use quick oats)
1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Dried Cranberries or Cherries (optional)

In a small sauce pan combine the almond milk, oatmeal, 
vanilla, cocoa powder and dried fruit (I added a few frozen
dark cherries that I chopped up). Place on stove top, bring to
a boil, then lower heat and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
 
Calories: 284  Fat: 6.5  Fiber: 8  Protein: 7  Carbs: 50
 
This has more of a dark chocolate flavor than a sweet taste.
For those craving a little more sweetness you could add honey
or any other organic sweetener


No comments: